I was listening to a podcast earlier today on Australian slang and in the 11 minutes they (non-Australians) talked, they discussed about NOTHING until at the very end when they listed like 4 slang terms in one minute. Not super duper impressive. SOOOooooOOOOooo I decided to list a few quick Australian Words/Slang for you (but I did this quickly so it’s very incomplete) aaannnddd then I added a fun link to a more comprehensive dictionary at the bottom.
Enjoy! or rather, “Cheers!” to stay on theme.
- Arvo = Afternoon
- Barbie = Barbecue
- Banger (bang-ah) = barbecue sausage “mystery meat”
- Bloke = Man
- ex: he’s a good bloke
- Bludger (bludg-ah)= lazy person
- Bogan = derogatory term for someone who is an idiot or kind of a mix between White Trash and Country Bumpkin.
- Boot = trunk of car
- Breckie = Breakfast
- Cheers (chee-as) = Goodbye, Thanks, Toast or Validation
- Cuppa = Cup of tea
- Flat = Apartment
- FlatMate = Someone who lives in your flat with you
- Footy = Rugby/Football
- G’Day (gidday) = Good Day
- Goin’ alright? = doing ok?
- Heaps = lots, tons, a bunch
- Indicator = blinker
- Jumper (jump-ah)= Cardigan/jacket/pullover
- Mate = Friend
- Ozzie = Australian
- Ripper (ripp-ah)= awesome, great
- Roommate = someone who shares your bedroom with you
- Speed hump = speed bump
- VB – Victoria Bitter (kind of beer)
Click on the Dunny to be transferred to a great Australian Slang website!!